Rice Chicken in Petra's kitchen
Another highlight in Wadi Musa was our cooking class at Petra's Kitchen! Here we learned the art making such local favourites as Rice with Chicken (Kabsah Dijaj).
- 2 chicken quartered
- ½ kg carrots
- 4 medium tomatoes
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp cardamom
- 7 cups hot water
- 1 cup garden peas
- 4 cups basmati rice
- 4 medium onions
- ¾ cup butter
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1½ tbsp salt, nutmeg
Back to Newsletter
- Wash chicken quarters well.
- Rub with salt and wash again.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Finely chop the tomatoes and onions.
- Dice carrots.
- Heat butter and sauté onions for 2 minutes in a deep pot.
- Add chicken pieces and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Stir in hot water, tomatoes and tomato paste.
- Add salt, spices and cook for 30 minutes over medium heat.
- Wash the rice and mix with carrots and peas.
- Place on top of chicken and cover.
- Cook for 40 minutes.
- Place on serving platter and serve with side dishes like Arabic salad and yoghurt.